Jul

Oh…and the Week of Shame Continues… for Me and for Coke

For the most part Ol’ Needly here tries to live a healthy life. I eat my veggies & my spawn provide me adequate exercise by method of chaos. But I have a very unhealthy secret habit. (No…not the wine…that I have convinced myself is good.) The dirty secret: Diet Coke. There I have said it people. I LOVE DIET COKE. Anything nutritional about it? Nope. Is it even in the neutral zone? Nope. Most likely carcinogenic joy in a can. Can I put an environmental spin on it? Well…I do buy it in recyclable cans in a recyclable box? But yes…it is trucked from Satan’s factory who knows how many miles and weighs a butt-load. Not to mention that Coke, the company, is, well…kind of evil. Melissa at Better Living reminded us of their whole India debacle as a prime example. Not to mention the whole bottled water brainwash thing . And I’m sure Beth could add some terrific fun facts to that end of the discussion. So plenty O’ reasons to kick its can.hulk

So…I’m doing it. I’m kicking the evil little monkey off my back and switching to home brewed ice tea. (Now I’m sure someone will write soon about what my tea consumption is doing to the world…and I’m sure there is some evil involved as there is with anything tasty.) Local…no…not so much. Organic…not as of yet but the company I order my loose tea from, Tealuxe, does offer a few varieties. Fair labor…again I’m researching for future purchases. Patience people!

**Coming soon to a blog near you…well…this blog….I will reveal my new tea bag designs and there will be a little give-away …with the usual guinea pig clause attached of course. You gotta work for it if you want to get your hands on a little of the Needle’s goods.**

Now that I have successfully weened myself from one giant conglomerate, the Gap , I guess life would be far too easy without taking on another mega-giant. Now…trying to track down everything Coke owns may prove to be a bit more of a challenge. The list reads like a phone book…literally hundreds of names. All variations of Coke, of course, Dasani, Minute-Maid, VitaminWater, Fanta, Sprite, Nestea, & Barq’s are just the US biggies.  And Bacardi Mixers?!?! The playground is going to be just a tad duller this summer with just tea in Mama’s “happy” sippy cup.

6 Responses to “Oh…and the Week of Shame Continues… for Me and for Coke”

1. Added by arduous on July 2nd, 2008 at 11:35 am

Good for you! I gave up Diet Coke a few months ago, and it was HARD. But I have to say, now? I don’t miss it so much. If I crave a soda, I go for the natural kind made with sugar instead of HFCS.

2. Added by TheGreenCat on July 2nd, 2008 at 2:18 pm

I used to be a total Pepsi addict but I gave it up because of the HFCS. Now Pepsi is a treat for me as opposed to something i drink by the gallon everyday. You are going to be so happy once you are free of it. Good going!

3. Added by Melissa on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:28 pm

if it makes you feel better, the breaking off of my love affair with diet coke has been on-going for almost a year now. It’s been about two weeks this round. It is tough! I find that making my own soda has helped though, since I have an awful sweet tooth – that way I have something besides water when I get a craving.

4. Added by Beth Terry, aka Fake Plastic Fish on July 3rd, 2008 at 5:53 am

Oh my god, just in time! After enjoying your hand-sewn coffee filter and my special porcelain coffee maker, I have kicked coffee (for a while at least) and am weening off caffeine by switching to tea. Tell me more about your tea bags!

Yep. I too have some addictions to lose. In fact, I plan to blog about some of them tomorrow. So don’t feel bad. We all do what we can, and we’re all human.

But if you do want to feel bad about those Coke cans, just know that they are not made only of recyclable aluminum. They also have a lining of plastic on the inside to keep the soda from corroding the metal. Does the plastic leach? Maybe so. Just another tidbit to keep you motivated.

Beth

5. Added by Heather @ SGF on July 3rd, 2008 at 6:42 am

Yeah! Good for you! You won’t hear me trashing tea though and their are many fair trade brands out there. My hubby has been on and off Dr Pepper for years (currently on) but from what I can tell, once you get through the first few days, it’s easy. It’s the temptation when we go on vacation that always puts him back on “the juice,” as I call it.

6. Added by Organicizing my Tea : Organic Oolong | Organic Needle on July 30th, 2008 at 5:41 am

[…] “giving up” the evil juice I have been drinking more tea than ever. (Now…I haven’t totally kicked the monkey off […]