May

I’ve Got Worms!

Aren’t they cute? Long story…somewhat short. Got tired of waiting for approval for the outdoor building compost and decided to try my hand at vermicomposting. Say it with me boys and girls…..verm-i-com-post-ing. Did a little on-line reading. Scrounged around and found a good bin and bedding. Recruited my team of helper monkeys, including the big monkey. Drilled a few holes. Went rockstar on a few phone books, white pages only. Saved some veggie scraps. Ordered the worms. Ta Daaaaaaaaaaa! If all goes according to plan…these little pets should eat about a lb of garbage a day. Let’s do the math together. That’s 365lbs a year. No pressure little guys.

The Worm Bin

Worms 5

Worms 2

Welcoming the Worms

Worms 3

Worms 4

My top scientists quickly discover the worms’ displeasure at the flash and the paparatzzi, mama, is shooed away and given a stern warning.

Worms 1

One of the really cool side benefits of this project is that besides the worms, who were flown in 1st class of course, and a little organic dirt we were able to salvage almost everything we needed. The bin was an old toy container that had a cracked sharp top edge, not exactly toddler friendly anymore. For bedding, we discovered a pile of phone books in the lobby no one was using. For food collection containers we are using our granola cartons. (We buy Sweet Home Farm which comes in a recyclable milk carton. Perfect because the top can be tucked down and there is no traces of dairy to upset the wormies’ little bellies.) So…hopefully besides a lesson in composting…my boys are also getting a lesson in creative reuse solutions. Now if I can just manage to not completely destroy their childhood innocence by accidentally committing mass wormicide like I did to the yeast. No wine for the worms, right? Yeah right…like there is “scrap” wine in this house.

Serious negotiations as to the naming of the worms. Squigglies verses EEEdoooos.

12 Responses to “I’ve Got Worms!”

1. Added by Theresa on May 8th, 2008 at 12:00 pm

When you wrote,”Aren’t they cute?” I thought you meant the children, certainly NOT the worms.

Well, of course the boys are cute. They are also little Einsteins, being raised in a loving, healthy environment. They are my grandsons! Their parents are learning about and teaching them things I never knew about. How wonderful is that! We need people like their mom and dad. And the boys – I believe they have the potential to someday re-shape the world! I’m glad the future is in their hands.

As far as the worms are concerned, I’d love to meet them. But they need an identity. Shouldn’t we name them something that is more “earthy” – like Bamboo or Greensleeves. How many worms are there? We’ll talk about it on Sunday.

2. Added by arduous on May 8th, 2008 at 1:53 pm

Worms!! How cool!

I kinda think I am getting over my fear of worms eating me in my sleep. Maybe I will follow in “The Needle’s” footsteps and get some worminators of my own.

3. Added by organicneedle on May 8th, 2008 at 2:44 pm

Thanks mom.:)

Arduous…I did a head count this morning and I think we are all still here. Either the worms are biding their time or they don’t in fact eat people.

4. Added by Beany on May 9th, 2008 at 2:34 pm

I call mine wormies.
    We have all sort of cliques in our bin…there are the ones that live on the dark side (at the very bottom) of the bin where all the worm tea collects and is apparently bad for them. But the dark ones like to live life on the edge.
    Then there are the cool crowd that hang out in the “sky lounge” or under the lid and away from the food (aka their work). They don’t do any work.
    Then of course the hard workers. Busy congregating in the scraps and eating away giving me rich compost.
    No matter how much we put them all to work…the dark siders and the sky loungers go back to not working.

5. Added by Allie on May 9th, 2008 at 4:07 pm

I just made a compost bin out of an old trash can. I’m thinking of adding some worms too.

Where did you get them?

Have you had issues with them trying to escape at all?

6. Added by organicneedle on May 9th, 2008 at 4:17 pm

Beany…I love the social study! I will have to keep an eye on them and make sure there are no slackers. Maybe a gentle reminder about our huge hungry robin population?

Allie…I ordered my red worms from Pollard Worms. Very happy with the worms and the service.

No escapees so far, but the holes are in the top and on the top of the sides. They would really have to work at it to get out.

7. Added by Chisty on May 11th, 2008 at 3:21 am

I was under the impression that the bin needed to be opaque and yours appears to be transparent. I have done some research on vermicomposting and in the interest of preventing mass wormicide I thought I would pipe in that the worms dislike light and so may not respond well to it coming at them from all sides. If this isn’t a problem then please just ignore me, if it is I recommend taping some newspaper or other such material to the out side to prevent light getting through. I hope I wasn’t to much of a downer.

8. Added by organicneedle on May 11th, 2008 at 7:39 am

You are very right Christy. We have been keeping the worms in a dark cupboard to avoid light. We are now realizing that they need more air circulation and will have to bring them out which means we will be doing exactly as you say…covering the sides with dark paper.

Always feel free to pipe up for worm rights. They deserve a safe work environment to, no?

9. Added by organicneedle on May 11th, 2008 at 8:00 am

Christy…do you know anything about white fluffy mold? Not sure if that is a related to the extra moisture? Too high a temp? Trying to find answers on line but not getting too far.

10. Added by Chisty on May 14th, 2008 at 2:58 am

I am thinking its probably from two much moisture and not enough air circulation. you could leave the top off for a bit or put a piece of thin fabric over it to let more moisture escape. I fear leaving the top off could lead to fruit flies so be watchful of that also make sure that if you do leave the top off that the food waste is buried very deeply to try to ward of flies.

11. Added by Chisty on May 14th, 2008 at 2:59 am

Oh my goodness I just noticed my horrendous mistakes in grammar so I do apologize it’s 3 am so I am citing that as my excuse.

12. Added by organicneedle on May 14th, 2008 at 5:59 am

Thanks Christy! I am going to try that. I think you may me right about too much water. The condensation pours off the top when I lift the lid. If I take the lid off I am totally going to come home to a worm kegger, aren’t I? Christy, are you REALLY a reader or are you in fact one of my worms trying to pull one over on the big dumb food giver? I am on to you “Christy.” (But…yes I will try the clothe thing…with heavy supervision.)